National Numeracy Day – Wednesday 18 May 2022
29 April 2022
The focus of this year's National Numeracy Day is 'supporting children’s numeracy, managing money and numeracy for work'.
Parents are invited to take part in 'The Challenge' which is a free and easy-to-use tool to help improve confidence and skills in numbers. You can find out more about National Numeracy Day.
For support with reading, writing or numbers, contact the Big Plus on Tel: 0800 917 8000. You can click on the links below to access further support.
Supporting children’s numeracy:
- Numeracy and Mathematics Glossaries - These glossaries have been developed for parents and carers of children and young people in the broad general education in Scottish schools. They provide clear definitions of some of the commonly used terms in numeracy and mathematics.
- Videos to Support Parents with Numeracy and Mathematics Methods and Approaches - These ‘Learning Together’ sessions focus on the use of interactive and visual methods to help you and your child. The page has links to eight videos which can help you to support your child’s learning of numeracy and mathematics.
- The Family Maths Toolkit - is full of ideas to help parents, families and children aged 13 and under enjoy everyday maths activities together. The site also offers resources to help teachers support family engagement with children's maths learning.
- I am a Mathematician - Mathematics is important in our everyday lives, allowing us to make sense of the world around us. We use it every day, at work, leisure and at home. Parents and carers can play a vital role in reinforcing the importance of maths to their children, promoting a positive attitude towards it and making it a fun activity to do together as a family. This resource will help parents to support their children's learning with fun activities to do at home.
- NPFS In a Nutshell Guide for National 5 Mathematics - As parents it is important that you have the information you need to support your child as they make subject choices and other key decisions.
- NPFS in a Nutshell Guide for Higher Mathematics - As parents it is important that you have the information you need to support your child as they make subject choices and other key decisions.
For support with managing your money:
- Money Advice Scotland - have a range of free tools to help ensure everyone is aware of the benefits and grants they are entitled to.
- Mygov.scot - has advice and support for families who may have difficulty paying their bills or keeping their home warm.
- Citizens Advice Scotland - offer a range of free resources to help budget and find affordable borrowing if you need it.