My child's record

​Since 2004, parents have had the right to see their child's educational record.

You won’t have to pay to read the record, but there may be a small fee if you'd like to keep a copy.

About the regulations

Your rights to access your child's educational records are covered by The Pupils' Educational Records (Scotland) Regulations 2003.

How can I see my child's record?

First of all, you need to write to the body responsible for the records. For local authority schools (the vast majority of schools in Scotland), that means writing to your local education authority. If your child goes to an independent school, write to the proprietor. For grant-aided schools, write to the managers.

Do I have to apply in writing?

No, as long as the responsible body can record and refer back to your request. For example, you could make your request by video, audio tape or Braille.

Can I get the records in another language or form?

When making your request to see your child's record, you can ask that the information is supplied in an alternative language or form. This will be supplied as long as the responsible body feels that your request is reasonable.

Checks and sensitive information

The body will probably want to make sure that you are a parent. They may also choose to hold back some of the information in the record. This could include any parts of the record dealing with sensitive personal data, or where disclosing the information would be likely to cause significant distress or harm to the pupil or any other person.

What is the definition of a parent?

A parent may be the mother or father of a child or young person, or any foster carer, relative or friend who has been given responsibility for looking after or bringing up a child, for example through a supervision order.

Related links

The Pupils Educational Records (Scotland) Regulations 2003 - Information on the requirement for bodies responsible for schools to give a parent access to records relating to school pupils, past and present.