Higher education

​There is a range of higher education institutions in Scotland. These include further education colleges and universities.

Studying for a degree

Most students studying their first degrees spend three academic years to attain an ordinary degree or four years to attain an honours degree.
The number of subjects studied and time spent in lectures, tutorials and practical work, in laboratories and in the field, varies enormously from year to year within courses, from course to course (within an institution) and from institution to institution.

Flexible degrees

Most of Scotland's higher education institutions offer part-time degree courses. The Open University specialises in this kind of degree.

Applying to higher education

The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) is the organisation that processes applications for full-time undergraduate courses at UK universities and colleges. Students can search every university course in the UK on the UCAS website.

Which? University provides help to prospective students in making more informed decisions about their higher education choices. It offers profiles of UK universities and colleges, the ability to search by predicted grades on full-time and part-time degree courses, and advice and tips on applying.

Financial help

Eligible full-time students resident in Scotland - including EU resident students - pay no tuition fees. Some part-time students may have their fees waived.

If students are studying a course at HNC/HND or degree level they should apply to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) for help with funding.

Further advice on funding can also be found on the Scottish Government's Funding for Learners web page.

Related links

Universities and Colleges Admissions Service - Information for parents.

National Union of Students.