What should I do?

What should I do if I think my child needs additional support?

If you feel that your child may need some additional support to help their learning you should discuss this with their school in the first instance.

You may wish to contact Enquire, the national advice and information service for additional support for learning, to discuss your concerns and seek advice. Enquire’s helpline number is 0345 123 2303. Enquire provides a range of free guides and factsheets (including The Parents' Guide to Additional Support for Learning) which may also help you.

As a parent you have the right to:

  • ask your child's local authority to find out whether your child has additional support needs
  • ask for a specific type of assessment and/or examination of your child as part of finding out what your son's or daughter's additional support needs are
  • get information or advice about your child's additional support needs. 

Find out more about your rights as a parent.