What are my rights as a parent?

​All professionals, schools, local authorities and other appropriate agencies should actively involve you as a parent in their work with children. They should value your contribution and regard you as a partner in your child’s learning.

Schools are required to involve you, under the terms of the Parental Involvement Act, which aims to:

  • help parents become more involved with their child's education and learning
  • welcome parents as active participants in the life of the school
  • provide easier ways for parents to express their views and wishes.

Specific rights with regards to additional support needs

You have the right to:

  • ask your local authority to find out whether your child has additional support needs
  • ask your local authority to find out if your child requires a co-ordinated support plan, or to review an existing plan
  • request a specific type of assessment and/or examination
  • request the use of mediation service
  • make a placing request to an independent special school if your child has additional support needs
  • be informed of the outcome of these requests and any applicable rights of appeal
  • receive a copy of the co-ordinated support plan or, if not eligible for a plan, receive advice and information about your child's additional support needs
  • have your views taken into account and noted in the co-ordinated support plan
  • appeal to new independent tribunals on matters relating to co-ordinated support plans
  • make use of dispute resolution arrangements for matters about additional support needs that are not eligible for formal appeal
  • have a supporter or representative with you at any meeting with the school or local authority and at tribunal hearings
  • make a placing request to any school in Scotland, including schools outside the local authority in which you live.

Note: If your child is aged 16 or over, and is still at school, they have the same rights as you. If your son or daughter is unable to exercise these rights, you can act on their behalf.

Further information

Children's Rights