Resolving concerns

Building a strong relationship with those who work with your child will make it easier to resolve any disagreements informally. 

If you have any concerns you should discuss these with staff at school; for example, a teacher or additional support needs staff member.

If you are still concerned you should make your views known to your local authority before considering more formal routes. Every local authority also has a standard complaints procedure, which you should use prior to pursuing other routes.

In relation to additional support needs, the formal routes include mediation and dispute resolution (both of which must be provided by the local authority free of charge) and the Additional Support Needs Tribunals for Scotland.

  • Independent mediation - Resolve your differences with help from a mediator acting as an impartial third party. The two parties voluntarily consider the issue and reach an agreement on the way forward. Parents can refer a matter to mediation.
  • Dispute resolution - An independent person will consider the issues which have been raised relating to additional support needs, and provide recommendations to the local authority on the best way forward.
  • Additional Support Needs Tribunals - The Additional Support Needs Tribunals for Scotland will consider specific matters related to co-ordinated support plans, placing requests and post-school transitions plans. Tribunals will be held as close as possible to the child's or young person's home and will be family friendly.